Contact Us | About the Society | Membership | Sitemap

 
  Canadian Pacific rail bridge downtown Red Deer

Forth Junction Project
Collections Policy

 
Forth Junction Project Vision Sharing Historical Perspective Ground Transportation
Heritage Preservation
Forth Junction
Heritage Society

 

 
A big thank you to
 


Now-closed C&E Railway Station Museum in south Edmontonfor the gifting of the 200+ item collection of the now-closed
Calgary & Edmonton Railway Station Museum
to the Forth Junction Heritage Society in September 2018


This collection will be carefully stored until the Society can find or build a facility to exhibit and interpret the artifacts and the history of the Calgary & Edmonton Railway (1890 to 1907) in an appealing way as part of a transportation-themed group of attractions in a family-oriented rail park
in the immediate Red Deer area.
 
Red Deer combination station 1891The artifacts and materials in the Calgary & Edmonton (1891) Station Museum Collection were originally acquired by the Junior League of Edmonton to display and preserve in its 1981 replication of the original C & E combination station that stood in several communities between the two cities including Strathcona, Red Deer, Innisfail, Olds, Lacombe, Wetaskiwin, Airdrie, Carstairs and Leduc. None of those stations have survived.

The Collection is illustrative of significant events, techniques, personalities and surroundings in the history of the Calgary & Edmonton station, the railway and the telegraph, concentrating on the period of 1891 to 1907. The Forth Junction Heritage Society intends to expand the research and interpretation of the C & E Railway as well as to replicate at least one version of the original station.

The Collection includes 59 transportation items (mostly railway-related including a station-mounted semaphore signal), 13 pieces of furniture (including at least 4 8' benches, chairs, wall clock, wood burning stove), 12 pieces of telegraph equipment, 55 historic photographs, an art print, 8 books, 9 pieces of office equipment, 31 articles of clothing, 14 items of a domestic nature and 3 large display cases.

Transportation from Edmonton and storage in the Red Deer area has been made possible by a Culture Opportunities Grant from the City of Red Deer.

See 'Mackenzie and Mann influenced the design of Central Alberta's first railway stations'


 
A big thank you
for a $2,950 Community Culture Opportunities Grant through the City of Red Deer
for the transfer and storage of the 200+ item collection of the now-closed
Calgary & Edmonton Railway Station Museum
to the Forth Junction Heritage Society in September 2018


original C&ER rail 1890A section of rail from the original Calgary & Edmonton Railway acquired through the co-operation of the Enderby BC Museum and Canadian Pacific Railway is part of the Forth Junction Heritage Society collection. The side of the rail is inscripted 'BV&Co 1890 C&ER'

The Society has also been gifted a switch lock from the Red Deer CPR yard by Skip Fuller of Red Deer
and telegraph equipment from Olive Iddiols of Calgary


A comprehensive collections policy is currently being developed.
 
In the meantime, we are looking primarily for any photographs and plans related to
historic trails, railway infrastructure, trains and transit in Central Alberta prior to 1985.


We are particularly interested in acquiring photos of the railways in or near Red Deer:

along the Canadian Pacific Railway (formerly the Calgary & Edmonton Railway)
between Calgary and Edmonton at Red Deer, CFB Penhold, Penhold, Innisfail, Bowden, Olds, Didsbury, Carstairs, Crossfield, Airdrie, Blackfalds, Lacombe, Morningside, Ponoka, Hobbema, Wetaskiwin, Millet, Leduc and Strathcona;

along the Canadian Pacific Railway branchlines in Central Alberta to the communities of Prentiss, Clive, Tees, Alix, Nevis, Erskine, Stettler, Wimborne, Torrington;
 
along the former Alberta Central Railway (Canadian Pacific between Red Deer and Rocky Mountain House) including Red Deer, Mintlaw, Sylvan Lake, Benalto, Eckville, Hespero, Condor, Alhambra and
Rocky Mountain House/Lochearn;

along the former Lacombe and Northwestern Railway,
the former Lacombe and Blindman Valley Electric Railway (Canadian Pacific between Lacombe and Leduc)including Gull Lake, Bentley, Rimbey and Bluffton;
 
along the former Canadian Northern Western Railway (Canadian National between Mirror and Nordegg) including Red Deer, North Red Deer, Sylvan Lake, Eckville, Rocky Mountain House, Nordegg/Brazeau, Burbank, Prentiss, Joffre, Alix, Mirror;
 
and along the former Grand Trunk Pacific (Canadian National between Mirror and Three Hills) including Mirror, Alix, Ardley, Delburne, Lousana, Elnora, Huxley, Trochu
.

 

Photos and plans of any railway stations that ever existed in Red Deer County and photos of steam locomotives in Central Alberta.
Photos of Bridges are especially welcome, especially the Red Deer ACR, Red Deer CNR, Red Deer CPR, Mintlaw CPR, Horse Guard/Medicine River CPR, North Saskatchewan Rocky Mountain House CPR,
Briggs CNR, Blindman CNR, Blindman CPR and Ardley CNR
.

 

Contact fjpark1@shaw.ca
 

Home | Why Forth Junction? | FAQ | Media News
 Collections | Bibliography | Copyright, Terms of Use, Privacy Policy

Copyright 2009-2018 Forth Junction Heritage Society. All Rights Reserved.                          website developed by Central Alberta Websites